Monday 26 March 2012

Books: The Adventures of Hergé

_________________________________________________________________________________

The Adventures of Hergé
Written by Jose-Louis Bocquet and Jean-Luc Fromental 
Art by Stanislas Barthélémy





Available now from Islington Libraries
You can reserve this item for free here:
http://www.library.islington.gov.uk/TalisPrism/


I don't get the point of this book. I mean - ok - I get that it's a retelling of key moment's in Hergé's life (that's the creator of Tintin for those that don't know and blah blah blah real name: Georges Prosper Remi etc): and I get that at practically every point they make references to scenes and images from his Tintin books. But - like - so what? I mean - I've been a Tintin fan since I was about 8 years old - and yeah damnit - I'd still recommend you reading any other Tintin book over this. If you want to read some Tintin - then read some Tintin - no?

This is - well: it said somewhere (I forget now where I read it - and everything about this book is pretty forgettable) that they choose the artist for this book to recreate the simplicity of Hergé's style. But - man - Stanislas Barthélémy is no Hergé, his style is too jagged and his edges are too sharp: and while Hergé was the master of a style that attained the heights of the universal (I don't care who you are - anyone from 6 to 60+ can enjoy a Tintin): this stuff just looks - childlike (and not in a good way).

One last time - if you're thinking of reading this book - don't - read some Tintin instead (it's better for you).

......................................................................................................................................................
Links: Forbidden Planet Blog Review.

Further reading: Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn / Red Rackham's TreasureTintin: Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon.

All comments welcome.

No comments: